About the CSA
The Council for Social Aid dates back to the late 1800s and was formally registered with the Charities Commission in 1964.
The Council for Social Aid is Registered Charity Number 233814.
The charitable objectives state that the charity supports any charitable activities carried out in connection with the Church of England in the Diocese of Manchester.
The Trustee of the fund is the Diocesan Board of Finance, and the Bishop of Manchester appoints seven managing trustees who oversee the distribution of the funds.
The Managing Trustees work closely with the Officers of the Mission and Ministry Department and with the Development Officer of Greater Together Manchester to identify projects, which might benefit from funding; support projects to make applications; and discuss applications impartially with Trustees.
The current Managing Trustees are:
Mr. Malcolm Walker (Chair)
Mr Martin Thorpe
Rev Canon Stephen Little
Mrs Helen Gatenby
Ms Elaine Eland
Rev. Graham Hollowood
Rev. Sandra Kearney
Recent Small Grant Recipients
- Bacup Family Centre
- St Anne’s Edgeside (White Horse Project)
- St Luke’s Longsight
- Churches Working Together Wythenshaw
- St Phillips & Sacred Trinity: Chapel St Community Arts Projects
- Deane Parish Church
- Lower Kersal Young People’s Group
- St John’s Cheetham Hill
- Christchurch, Harpurhey M13 Youth Project
Recent Large Grant Recipients
- St Margaret’s Hollinwood & St Chad Limeside – Community Development Worker
- St Philips & Sacred Trinity, Salford – Chapel St Community Arts Project
- St Mary w/ Christchurch, Glodwick – St Mark’s Centre: Salary for Development Worker
- St Luke’s Longsight – Core costs for Mental Health Drop-In Service
- Lower Kersal Young People’s Group Emergency Grant – to support the project in financial difficulties
- Pendleton Rovers – Football Project with young men
- White Horse Project – Youth Arts Project in Rossendale
- Lower Kersal Young People’s Group – for work with young people
- St John’s Community Centre, Old Trafford – Community Development worker
- M13 Youth Project – StreetMATTERS Youth Development Project
- St Luke’s Halliwell – Costs for St Luke’s Drop-In Centre
- Magdalene Centre, Winton – Magdalene Hall Building Refurbishment